The Old Church and the Village of Corrales
The History of the Old San Ysidro Church begins in 1710 when Francisco Montes Vigil petitioned the King of Spain for land and was given possession of a tract of land-the Alameda Land Grant-which included Corrales. He was unable to fulfill the conditions of ownership and in 1712 conveyed his land grant to Captain Juan Gonzales Bas. In about 1750, the first church in Corrales, L'Iglesia Jesus, Maria y Jose was situated on the west side of the Rio Grande about half a league (1.5 miles) from an Indian Pueblo called Sandia. It was a long structure consisting of a nave. It was a visita meaning that the Catholic priest from Sandia Mission Church would visit the Corrales church to celebrate mass, hear confessions and hold communion services.
Today, the Old San Ysidro Church is maintained, preserved and managed by volunteers of Corrales Historical Society using the monies earned from membership dues, fundrasing events, donations and leasing income.
The History of the Village of Corrales begins during the first half of the 20th century when the name of the village was changed to Sandoval to honor a powerful local family. But "Corrales" remained in many hearts and minds and in the 1960s the village reclaimed its historic name. As the population near the city of Albuquerque exploded after World War II, the charm and quiet of Corrales attracted many newcomers. Vast farming lands, beautiful vistas, and the small community feel continues to attract visitors. Today the village is a rural-residential oasis nestled between the metropolitan Albuquerque and the burgeoning city of Rio Rancho.
The Village was incorporated as Corrales in 1971 to provide for increased service and control over development. Over the years, the Village has enacted policies to protect its existing rural residential environment. The Village contains the historic Casa San Ysidro, a restored Spanish hacienda from the 1700s, and Old San Ysidro Church, built in the 1860s.
For more information about the history of Corrales go to http://corrales-nm.org/about-us-2 or